Monday, May 4, 2009

Heard from the oncologist - waiting to hear from the surgeon

So my oncologist, Dr. Song, called me today. She has spoken to my surgeon, Dr. Lorimer, and they have discussed my case. She says that he will call me soon to discuss surgery. So it looks like I will have the surgery first (most likely). I asked Dr. Song if having the surgery or chemo first increases my chances of complete recovery with fewer risks of reoccurances. She said that both choices have the same percentages but that if I have the chemo first then I won't be eligable for the clinical trials.
I told her that I was concerned that Dr. Lorimer has been saying that he thinks that I should have a mastectomy and he still hasn't explained why he thinks that a lumpectomy wouldn't work in my case. She said that she thinks a lumpectomy is still a possability but that I would have to realize that a second surgery to remove the breast may be necessary if they found something (I don't know what yet) in the tumor afterwards. I told her that I had no problem with a mastectomy if it is necessary and a lumpectomy increases my risks of reoccurance but that everyone keeps telling me that the risks are the same. I just don't see that we have got to the point where the amputation of a body part is the only choice.
...It's almost 6:00 and I haven't heard back from my surgeon....maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment