Friday, May 15, 2009

Chemo was uneventful

If you have to have a chemo administering experience, which I hope you never do, then mine was quite nice. I began to cry at one point while the nurse was talking to me and she started comforting me, but she didn't realize I was crying in the first place because she WAS SO NICE. It reminded me of how many absolutely amazing people I have for my support system. I LOVE YOU ALL!
When Kevin and I showed up at the Cancer Centre and checked in I got to rummage through a bin of chemo hats made by volunteers. I picked a red one and a black one with ladies wearing bright pink dresses. Then Kevin and I were called into the Chemo Room where my nurse, Sue, waited for me. The Chemo Room is HUGE. There are beds and lounge chairs for probably at least 50 patients and everyone seemed to smile at us as we walked by to our place (#10) which was by a big picture window. I asked Sue if I could go to the bathroom first and she pointed me in the right direction. While walking to the bathroom I ran into my new friend Colleen who was getting her treatment too. When she finished up she came back to my seat and got to meet Kevin and tell us a little more about her family and her experiences. Her next treatment will be on the same day and time as mine, so I'll see if I can request a spot close to her next time.
First thing I got was 3 anti-nausea pills and then was taught how to manage and control my nausea symptoms instead of allowing them to control me. Sue started to get ready to inject my drugs when I showed her my p.i.c.c. line. This excited her and she said that I would love having the p.i.c.c. vs. the injections (I hope so because I HATED getting the p.i.c.c. line inserted). Sue then ran the I.V. to my p.i.c.c. and attached the first drug which is called Doxorubicin or Adriamycin (A.K.A. "The Red Devil"). It took 15 minutes for this drug to run though the I.V. and then they attached the 2nd drug called Cyclophosphamide (pronounced sigh-clo-fos-fa-mide) and set it to run into my body for 30 minutes. After a few minutes of this drug I felt a little light headed and woozy. When I mentioned my very mild discomfort to Sue she told me that next time I should make sure that I tell the nurse to set the Cyclophosphamide on a 45 minute timer instead of the usual 30 minutes and that should fix the woozy headache problem. Then we were done. The whole procedure took 90 minutes.
On the way home I realized that I had forgot to have Sue inject the prescription I had brought with me from home. I called my home care nursing service and someone was at my house within a few hours to give me the injection. The injection was in my stomach with a scary looking THICK needle that looked more like a nail. You know how doctors and nurses always say "this won't hurt"? My hunky nurse said "THIS WILL REALLY HURT!". Scary sh*t! But it didn't hurt at all, I guess I had prepared for worse (maybe I was still remembering how horrible my p.i.c.c. insertion was). The worse part about the injection was when my hunky nurse said "I'm going to get you a bandage - not because it's bleeding a lot- but because I can see down the hole" AHHHHHHHHH! :-) He was funny...and did I mention that he was hunky?
I didn't notice any symptoms until around 8:30 when I started feeling a little nauseous (1 out of 10 nauseous) so I took my anti-nausea meds and now it's 10:30 and I'm still feeling okay.
Thanks to Laura Murton for making some very delicious Moroccan Chicken...we gobbled it all up...mmmmmmmm...I need that recipe. Another big thank you to my Auntie Lisee who left her own kids and grand babies at home who were visiting for the long weekend to come and be with me this evening.
One more big thank you and props to my amazing little girl who went to bed fairly easily without any boobies. She's such a good little girl. I love her so much.
I'm going to go relax now...I need to watch last nights season finale of Grey's Anatomy and then I'm off to dreamland (hopefully as easily and peacefully as Grace).

2 comments:

  1. Wow Daiva, you say uneventful but it sounds anything but, especially with a hunky nurse!! You are so strong, definitely a source of inspiration to me. My thoughts are with you everyday.

    And Grace is such a little trooper too. Bed without boobies is a big deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Chemo was uneventful because I didn't throw up or get really sick. It was a new experience, so it was interesting, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I had been imagining. I have this p.i.c.c. in my arm so there wasn't even a needle to be afraid of.

    ReplyDelete