Thursday, May 7, 2009

Chemo first????

My surgeon wants me to do the chemo before the surgery. He says that I will have a better chance of not requiring a mastectomy if I go with the chemo first. The drawbacks are:
-I will have 8 chemo treatments instead of the 6 that would have been required if I had the surgery first. The extra 2 treatments put me at a slightly higher risk of not being able to concieve in the future. I will feel pretty crappy for about 5 days after each treatment.
-The oncologist won't have access to the pathology of the tumor which you get from the disection of the tumor once it is removed. Knowing the pathology of the tumor helps the oncologist cater the chemo drugs for the specific type of cancer.
-I won't be eligable for trial drugs which are only available if I were to have the surgery first.

On another note, I spoke on the phone with a nice woman who is my age. She went through this process a year ago and has just finished most of her treatment. I'm thankful to have her to turn to with some of the questions and fears that I have. Thanks so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment