Tuesday, May 12, 2009

FRIDAY!

Okay, it's official. I will be starting chemo this Friday. I have to go to the hospital to get the chemo administered and then I get to go home and wait to see how bad I am going to feel. The oncologist says that the average time to feel crappy is about 5 days and then by the time I feel like myself again (in 21 days) it will be time for another treatment. I will have a total of 8 treatments which means that I should be done my chemo in October. Then I will have to start to prepare for the surgery.
On Thursday I will have to go to a Chemo Teaching session to learn about all the wonderful things that will (or could) happen. I will also have to have a pick line put in which means I will have these tubes running out of my arm until all my treatments are complete. The pick line is used to draw blood and to inject the chemo drugs without agitating my veins. If you don't get the pick line then after a few weeks of treatments your arm can really start to hurt. I guess I will figure out a way to cover up the tubes...it is going to be tank top and bathing suit season after all.
I want to thank my friend Laura Murton for coming with me and Grace to the hospital today. She kept Grace entertained while I talked to the doctor and it was nice to have someone there with me for support.
Also, a big thank you to Colleen M. for coming early so that we could finally meet in person. You look so great and I hope I look as good as you after chemo, radiation and surgery. After I have made it through the side effects of the first treatment we will have to get together for some tea.
Tomorrow I wrap up loose ends so that I don't have anything to worry about for a week.

1 comment:

  1. Daiva; It all sounds so exhausting, however its good that you know what's going to happen. Sounds like your doctor is giving you all the facts - telling it like it is. If you have it better it will be a bonus. Sounds like you are getting lots of support. I feel quite helpless being so far away, but I'll be there for the next one. We'll know more of what to expect by then. I love you Daiva. Take real good care of yourself and make sure to read up on helps with the side effects.

    ReplyDelete