Tuesday, June 2, 2009

HER-2 Possitive

I had an appointment with my oncologist today - or I was supposed to, she was out of town so another doctor was filling in who wasn't even an oncologist. The appointment was uneventful until I asked if the results came back concerning my tumor's receptors (a test to see if the tumor reacts to proteins or hormones). I'm her-2 positive. The doctor who told me this news couldn't really answer any questions...she was a family doctor. I've done some reading up on this and I think that this means (in VERY simple terms) that my tumor over expresses a protein that helps the tumor cells grow and multiply. This means that my tumor is more aggressive than someone who isn't her-2. In the past this would mean that my chances of having cancer that would spread or reoccur were high, but now they have drugs and treatments which can bring my odds back down to (and perhaps below) those who are her-2 negative. The bummer is that I will be on a drug called Herceptin that will be given via IV every 3 weeks at the Chemo Ward for 18 months!!!!!! The first Herceptin treatment would start along with my 7th chemo treatment (sometime in September)....18 months from then would be March, 2010...that is when I would be finished all my treatments.

Because I will need a line into my veins for a long time I will be getting rid of my P.I.C.C. line and getting a Port line instead. A Port is a disc inserted beneath my skin around my left collar bone with a line running from the disc through my vein towards my heart. Then, when I need a chemo or Herceptin treatment the nurse locates the disc and pops the IV line through it. I will be able to swim and pick Grace up again with my left arm but I will have a 3 inch scar once the disc is removed. It will rub against my seat belt and it will bother me when I sleep on my stomach. The disc has to be surgically inserted and it looks like my procedure will happen the week of June 23rd. If that's the case then I will be able to get this darn P.I.C.C. taken out soon after this next chemo treatment.

In other news, I am having a terrible reaction to the dressing over my P.I.C.C. I've got a red bumpy rash that is so itchy that it drives me crazy. The nurse is switching my dressing over to a new one that has less reaction but also less adhesion. Good thing this won't be a concern for long.

1 comment:

  1. Hi fantabulous heroine that is Daiva :)

    It must be quite frustrating to have questions that you can't have answered :( Thank goodness you are a reader and a researcher that takes control of her own body and her own health care!

    It sounds like the port is going to make life a lot easier for you. Scar schmar - you can call it your battle wound!

    Thinking of you lots over here :) BTW - You look gorgeous with your clipped hair! You don't need a wig :)

    Lotsa love,

    Jess

    ReplyDelete