Friday, June 26, 2009

3rd Chemo....DONE!

So today was my third chemo treatment. I noticed that I recognized a lot of the other people in the ward from my past two treatments. I found out that the lady I talked to last time found her missing dog and that another lady, that I talked to and smiled at during my first treatment, was named Julia. I also met a woman, Lisa, who was there for her first treatment. Although it is awful to find out you have cancer, it is very nice meeting men and women who are going through the same thing and therefore relate to them. For example, I walked by a woman outside the hospital who had a bald head and a bandage on her chest (from her port insertion), I had a hat on for a change (no wig) and a bandage on my chest from my port insertion last Friday (which went REALLY smoothly by the way...it was like being at the spa compared to the P.I.C.C. insertion). Anyway, back to my story, all I did was tap my chest where my bandage is when we walked by each other and we gave each other HUGE smiles. We are part of the same club or SISTERHOOD if you will.
Having cancer has definitely changed my outlook on EVERYTHING in my life for mostly the better; everyone I meet in the cancer centre (nurses, volunteers, patients...) have also been the most amazing, warm, caring and friendly people. I see way more smiles than tears in the ward.
The ward also has a bell hanging from the wall by the exit. I think it's called the VICTORY bell, or something like that. You ring it after your last chemo treatment. A man got to ring the bell today and everyone clapped and cheered for him. It was really nice to see and I can't wait until I get my turn.
The other thing I can't wait for is the RELAY FOR LIFE. I don't know if I will get to do it next year or the year after that, but I can't wait for when I can walk the "survivor" lap with my mother...I cry happy tears just thinking about how awesome that will be and how proud I will be of my victory with this disease.
I'll write soon. I'm sorry that I have been so bad at writing lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment