Friday, June 5, 2009

Chemo session 2 complete. P.I.C.C. line gone.

So I've had my second chemo treatment and now I'm home waiting to see how sick I'm going to get. My mom came with me to keep me company and we had to wait a long time with just a saline hook up because it took forever for the pharmacy to bring the nurse my chemo drugs. We met some nice ladies. One who is finished all her chemo treatments (her hair is probably about 3 inches long now)...she was fantastic. Then I met another nice woman who was lying next to me in the chemo ward. She was worried because she lost her dog today right before her chemo appointment so she had to leave while her neighbors looked for him. I hope they found him. My chemo buddy, Colleen, was also there today. She gave me some great chemo hats for sleeping in and also some bandannas. Mom also found some pretty scarves in the donation bin and they will be great on a hot summer day.

Mom came back home with me and we relieved my sister from Grace watching duty so she could go home and walk her dog. Mom went and picked up Thai food for me. We got my favourite curry dish plus some pad Thai. The curry seemed a little hot for my sensitive tummy but the pad thai was perfect. Mmmmmmm.

I got a letter today from Service Canada stating that I was denied my 15 week sick E.I. claim because I already got 50 weeks of Parental Leave. This seems discriminatory because if a father had been the one who got sick rather than a mother then he would have qualified for sick leave. The good news is when I called the Service Canada help line this afternoon a very helpful man, Rohan, spent a lot of time studying my file and told me that I could appeal if I have to but he doesn't think that will be necessary. There seems to be something in the computer that says my file is still active and the letter I received might be a mistake. Rohan also said that you will always getting $$$ that you are entitled to and that if you aren't entitled to the money it doesn't matter how hard I try....He said I am entitled to the leave....I hope Rohan is right. In the mean time, I have to fill out the forms for disabbility (O.D.S.P). There are a lot of forms and I need to get doctors to fill out forms too. Once I apply for O.D.S.P. it will take around 4 months to activate the payments. So, I really need the sick leave to cover me until O.D.S.P. comes in.

In other news, my memory is getting REALLY bad. Please don't hold it against me if I don't call you when I'm supposed to or I forget a conversation that we had. The memory loss is WAY worse with chemo than it was with pregnancy or the sleep deprivation from taking care of an infant. My personal nurse says that she thinks that cancer patients get "chemo brain" as a coping mechanism. Whatever the case, I am very concerned about how dumb I am getting.

No comments:

Post a Comment