Saturday, August 15, 2009

Taxotere one

On August 7th I had my first Taxotere chemo treatment. The treatment is slightly different than my first four treatments because I have to wear big ice mitts on my hands and feet. Taxotere can cause your fingernails to become brittle and sometimes fall off, so the idea is if your hands and feet are iced during the drip than the blood won't circulate to your fingers and toes as much. My favourite past time during the early treatments was doing Sudoku puzzles but the big funny mitts now make that impossible. I think I'm going to bring my DVD player next time.
The following day I had a nurse come and give me my Neulasta injection. Three thousand dollars was injected into my arm and the side effect I am lucky enough to enjoy from it it BONE PAIN. Not flowers, rainbows or Lucy in the sky with diamonds... but BONE PAIN!
The first few days after my treatment were fine. I was on a steroid to help ease me into the fatigue until Tuesday. On Wednesday I was no longer on the steroid so I was hit with exhaustion. Not only that, but the bone pain was so strong I thought that I would take one of the pain killers that I had been prescribed - Percocet! An hour after taking the percocet I was changing Grace's diaper and started to pass out. I knew I was weak so I put my body over Grace so she wouldn't roll off the change table...then I passed out. It was very scary! I woke up dripping in sweat and exhausted. I finished changing Grace and then plunked her in front of the TV in my room. She watched Sesame Street and I fell unconcious. I now know not to take percocet during the day when alone with Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment