Saturday, August 15, 2009

The flu

The end of July and the beginning of August was pretty crazy for me. Grace got the flu which means that of course I soon was really sick too. I was fine for a few days until I got a fever. If you get a fever when you are in the middle of chemo treatments then you have to contact your doctor IMMEDIATELY. It was after business hours so I had to go to the emergency room. When I arrived at the ER the nurse told me (even though I informed her I was a chemo patient) that I would have to wait about 4 hours in the waiting room with all the other sick people so I opted to go home and sleep in my own bed and went to the Cancer Centre the next morning. I had to get fluids through I.V. and loads of blood work. My first blood results were low and I was told that if the second results were as low then I would be admitted to the hospital for 5 days. I immediately thought of Grace and not being able to see her, then I started to cry. Then I was told my hemoglobin levels were low and that would mean I would need a blood transfusion -WHAT!!!??? All this for a flu? Well, after a few more hours of waiting for 2nd blood results and some hospital food I was finally told that I could go home with an antibiotic. My hemoglobin's were actually fine, my white blood cell count was low but okay. YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment