Monday, April 27, 2009

Diagnosis


First of all I want to say that I am fine. I have some rough and scary moments where my mind wanders to the worst possible outcome but in my heart I know that my odds are very good and I will do everything I can to make sure that I'm around for a long time.
A week ago today I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I am 33 years old and the happy mother of an eleven month old daughter. This has been a hard week. Giving birth to my baby girl last year was the beginning of the most amazing and wonderful time of my life and I feel like the best experiences of my life have just been crashed into by the worst moments of my life.
So far, I don't know much about my cancer. I know that it is an invasive ductal carcinoma but I don't know yet what my treatment will be or what my prognosis is. The not knowing is the hardest part because people that know me will tell you that I am a planner, so I feel powerless right now.
I met with my surgeon, Dr. Lorimer, today for the first time and although he hasn't got the results back from my MRI he thinks that I will most likely have chemotherapy before my surgery to remove the tumor. I should hear back from Dr. Lorimer by Friday about what they saw on the MRI. I went into the meeting today thinking that I would get some answers but instead I ended up with more questions. I was disappointed that I still don't know much.
I will be having several tests done and I will be meeting with an oncologist to discuss treatment very soon. I will let you know when I know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment